Three days of hands-on training for technicians, researchers, and students who want to apply a faster and cleaner preparation method that provides samples with uniform thickness, no embedded contamination, and is cheaper than a FIB.
February 24, 2020 (for beginners)
Tuesday - Thursday
February 25 - 27, 2020 (for all)
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Hatfield, Pennsylvania, USA
Sign Up - You will be redirected to our secure EMS checkout.
View printable version here.
The EMS Microscopy Academy
Located in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, the Academy provides electron microscopy classes, workshops and training sessions for all fields of microscopy, including materials science and biological science.
Lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice, as well as round table discussion. Participants my bring their own samples to work on during lab time.
- Sample discussion/evaluation to determine method of support
- Embedment in Epofix or Cyanoacrylate glue, if necessary
- Trimming using razor blades, diamond trim blades, or the TXP for precision trimming
- Sectioning of brittle materials and brittle water sensitive materials at room temperature
- Sectioning of polymers at room temperature using an ultra sonic knife
- Cryo trimming and sectioning ofsofter polymers
- OsO4 and RuO4 staining of sectioned polymers
- Leica EM UC7 RT & Cryo
- RMC Boeckeler Power Tome PC RT & Cryo
- Diatome Ultrasonic Diamond Knife
- Diatome 45°, 35° RT/Cryo Diamond Knives
Registration will be limited to a maximum of 15 participants.
EMS will provide samples to those who prefer not to bring their own.
Introduce individuals to the unique application of ultramicrotomy to materials, which provides several advantages over other common techniques such as ion milling, FIB, and tripod polishing for TEM analysis. The thin (≤ 30 nm) sectioning of metals, embedded powders, and polymers is a technique that provides samples with a uniform thickness, retention of elemental distribution, lack of ion implantation contamination, and proves to be much faster than other preparation methods such as ion milling, tripod polishing and FIB milling.